#223: Scale Up Your Business Using the 6 Peaks of Value Creation with Nick Bradley
Are you mentally prepared to do everything in your power to clarify your vision and execute on that vision, no matter how uncomfortable it makes you or how many times you fail? Nick Bradley, who has sold 22 businesses for more than $5.2 billion in his lifetime (and the last for 14x profit in 2017), shares what helped him create the 6 Peaks of Value Creation and the results he’s seen when you combine mindset with execution.
What you will learn in today's Podcast Interview
- The Venn diagram of entrepreneurial skills for optimizing growth.
- What percentage of EBITDA you should reinvest to increase enterprise value.
- The 6 Peaks of Value Creation you should be using to create success.
- The importance of addressing long-term goals in your business’s financials, including where you’re getting your financing from.
- How empathy helps you drive a growth culture (the way you'd rather have a doctor with a good bedside manner than one without).
- How your true wants influence not only your decision making but also the eventual options you have to transition or exit the business, and the importance of alignment.
- Why you should put the effort in to solve for root issues and not just address symptoms.
- If you want 10-15 million from the sale of your company, you’ll need to achieve a valuation in the 10s of millions . . . are you on the right growth path?
- Leadership starts with you and if you’re not leading yourself to grow, what results can you expect to see in your business?
- The impact discipline has on freedom, creativity, and—ultimately—success.
Are You Growing The Value of Your Business
Take The 2-Minute Assessment To Get Your Intentional Growth Score™ And 1-Page Vision Board.
Nick Bradley shares on today’s podcast how to get into the right mindset, scale up your business and optimize for value growth. Nick shares his 6 Peaks of Value Creation with us and details how acting with intention and discipline leads to more freedom and success than you’ve seen before.
- Purpose – Understanding where you want to go and knowing your options, and why this matters to you.
- Profit – Have a safety net and flexibility to invest. Understand where profitability is going to come from.
- Proposition – Value proposition, not just a product or service. Ultimately the culmination of a product (or service) ecosystem and the experience your client or customer has.
- Predictability – Predictable business. All top-performing businesses have a steady flow of the right customers coming in and driving recurring revenue.
- Process – Where and how consistently you use technology, data, insight, and even your mission. The handoff between processes needs to be really clear.
- People – Right people, right seats. Look after them, treat with respect, and have the correct compensation structure for performance. This is all about culture.
Whether you’re the financial or operations person, this podcast shows the value of learning the other side. The optimal entrepreneur has an understanding of both, allowing them to create value, wealth, and freedom. If you understand how things work, how to get where you want to go, and how to align things to make it happen, you’ll find the success you set out to achieve on day one.
If you live in the lane of mediocrity, you end up in a weird comfort zone. When you’ve had challenges, you’ve had limited options: You either give up or turn things around. Challenges help you be successful because you have knowledge of pain and the growth that only comes from being so uncomfortable it forces a change.
Strange catalysts can help ignite you to do something extraordinary. Look at challenges as gifts.
Are you ready to be the instrument of successful change in your business? If not now, when? If not you, who?
About the Guest:
Nick Bradley is a world-renowned business growth expert who works with entrepreneurs, business leaders, and investors, transforming good companies into great ones.
Over the last decade, he has built, bought and sold 22 businesses with a combined valuation of $5.2 billion dollars. He also works with Private Equity and Venture Capital firms across the UK and the US leading business turnarounds, mergers, acquisitions, and scale-ups.
He is the host of the UK’s #1 Business Podcast on iTunes and Spotify—Scale Up Your Business—which has achieved over 150,000 downloads in 130 countries in less than 12 months since launch. Guests include—Neil Patel, David Meltzer, Oren Klaff, John Lee Dumas, Rock Thomas, Patrick Bet-David, and JT McCormick.
He is also the co-founder of The Fielding Group, a growth accelerator that helps companies improve business performance in order for entrepreneurs to create freedom, build wealth, and live life without limits.
Originally from Australia, Nick is a dedicated family man who has a strong background in physical fitness. He has completed 67 marathons and 24 ultramarathons worldwide, and is also a qualified personal trainer and performance coach.
He is absolutely committed to personal growth and becoming the best version of himself, as well as inspiring others to achieve the same. His mission is to help create empires by bringing entrepreneurial skill sets and mindsets to people all over the world as a driving force of progression and prosperity.
13:41 - “The smallest amount of time I’ve worked with someone is twelve months. Over that twelve months, we’re going to take you from where you are now to where you want to be. It’s a very precise intervention.” - Nick Bradley
19:34 - “Every business has a purpose, it has an intent and that usually comes off what that owner is trying to achieve.” - Nick Bradley
29:09 - “As soon as you go niche, you go tighter, all of a sudden you’ll start to get significant growth.” - Nick Bradley
33:14 - “The identity of someone who is great at starting businesses is not the same as the identity of someone who is great at scaling them.” - Nick Bradley
Links and Resources:
LinkedIn: Nick Bradley
Apple Podcasts: Scale Up Your Business Podcast
Reach out to me if you have questions about the boot camp!
You can also reach out to me via email at email@example.com, on my LinkedIn.
Brought to you by Ryan Tansom of Intentional Growth