Life After Business
#157: Chasing Perfection - Shatter the Illusion; Minimize Self-Doubt & Maximize Success
Sue Hawkes is the award-winning author of the book, Chasing Perfection: Shatter the Illusion; Minimize Self-Doubt & Maximize Success. In this episode, she about the basis and philosophies behind the book.
Chasing Perfection is a book about business leadership written by a woman, for women. However, imposter syndrome can happen to anyone. Sue brings her personal and professional experience to her book and this episode in order to tackle the topics of imposter syndrome, founder’s syndrome, vulnerability, and the concept of saying no.
What You Will Learn:
- Who is Sue Hawkes?
- The story about “Chasing Perfection”
- The difference between men and women when it comes to leadership
- What is imposter syndrome?
- The role of vulnerability in strength
- How being vulnerable can help you bond but can reinforce your confidence
- What to do when “Fake it til you make it” turns into burnout
- Why it is important to have honest “truthteller” people in your life
- Peer Learning
- Founder’s syndrome
- Insistent, incremental improvement
- How to use actionable practices to conquer imposter syndrome
- Know when you should say no
- The end result of discipline and focus
- How to funnel entrepreneur momentum and energy
- The importance of volunteering for your professional career and your personal well-being
- Which group dynamics are more vulnerable, authentic, and honest
- The breaking point of imposter syndrome
Are you saying yes to too much? We are all genetically wired to go full speed but, in order to stay sane, it is important to delegate, slowly implement elements of self-care, and find someone you can trust and confide in.
Links And Resources:
Sue Hawkes.com: https://www.suehawkes.com/
“Chasing Perfection” on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Perfection-Illusion-Minimize-Self-Doubt-ebook/dp/B076WS6KT7
Say Yess: https://www.sayyess.com/
Intentional Greatness Podcast: https://www.sayyess.com/podcast/
ARKONA Bootcamp: https://arkona.io/
Sue is a bestselling author, a certified EOS (entrepreneurial operating system) Implementer, WPO Chapter Chair, award-winning leader, Certified Business Coach, a seminar leader, and the CEO of YESS!. She has 30 years of experience in business and is the coaches coach. She designs and delivers dynamic programs intended to transform clients (and their businesses).
She has contributed to various publications including Inc, Entrepreneur, Forbes, the New York Daily News, Fast Company, Fortune, HR.com, Ladders, and Thrive Global. Sue has won various accolades including the Governer’s Council Dream Keeper Award, 2018 Enterprising Woman of the Year, the Regional US Small Business Administration Women in Business Champion of the Year, NAWBO Minnesota’s Achieve! Vision Award, the Exemplary Woman of the Community Award, the Women Who Lead by Minnesota Business, and the Women Venture’s Unsung Hero Award.
Brought to you by Ryan Tansom of Life After Business